It's national cereal day today! Best way to celebrate is to bust open your favorite box of cereal and milk and have a bowl!
But being constantly on the move, It's not convenient taking cereal to go, not to mention sharing doesn't work very well. Bless the human being who invented the Rice Krispie treats. Instead of having the day off, I'm out the door to teach a couple cooking classes, so this is my little commute treat.
These delicious, sweet and creamy cereal bars were a childhood favorite of mine growing up. Now being a grownup, I thought I would make it a bit more grown up with some bourbon.
The only problem I have when making these is I need to make a double batch so Michael can get his fair share of a dozen to satisfy his sweet tooth. But most importantly, save some for mom when she comes to visit from Salem, she missed the last batch. Sorry mom!
The Best Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treats
Makes: 9-12 bars depending on pan
- 1 stick (4oz) unsalted butter
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder
- Butter or oil to grease pan, bowl, spatula, and hands.
- Grease large bowl with butter or oil of choice all up the sides and bottom. Place rice krispies in bowl and set aside. Grease 8" square pan or 9x13" rectangle pan and set aside. Lastly, grease a silicone spatula so rice krispies don't stick.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, add stick of butter and let melt into liquid. Bring heat up to medium and keep an eye on butter as it will slowly but surely get to browning.
- Turn heat off and remove from stove.
- Add marshmallows and stir consistently until combined. Pour in bourbon and continue stirring.
- Pour over rice krispies bowl and start mixing quickly (don't forget the bottom of the bowl, stuff likes to clump there).
- Add cocoa powder for the final stir.
- Once it's evenly mixed, pour into your greased pan, using your spatula to evenly spread and push it into the pan. (use your hands but grease them up so the krispies don't stick to your hand)
- Let cool for 20-25 minutes.
- Take a clean knife and cut squares to desired size, wipe knife clean in between cutting.