Finishing off January with lots of motivations for 2019. Planning my first out of country trip with my boyfriend to Italy this Spring, hoping to tackle my fear of driving, make more time to develop and post more recipes. But the biggest one of all...my boyfriend has FINALLY got me hooked on Game of Thrones. I’ve tried a few times in the past, never getting past episode 2. I thank dear Michael for all his efforts, cause wow I can’t get enough of it.
When we're in a deep show-binging mode, we always enjoying a cocktail in the evening, essential drink being old fashions. We happen to be big fans of bourbon in this household, whether it’s Buffalo Trace or Angels Envy, we pour it up.
I decided to take a Winter favorite of mine to pair with bourbon, apple cider. Sure I could go for a hot toddy at this point, but I don’t always go for a piping hot beverage, I run too warm to enjoy those. So stocking up on my favorite apple cider from a Farmer’s Market trip, I splash some of this with bourbon, and pair it with my spiced simple syrup, add a couple dashes of bitters, voila!
Cheers to you lovelies!
Spiced Apple Old Fashioned
Makes: 1 Cocktail
(Multiply recipe for however many people you are serving)
Spiced Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed (I press them down with a cast iron skillet or use a mortar & pestle)
- 2 oz apple cider
- 2 oz bourbon of choice
- 1 oz spiced simple syrup
- Couple dashes of angostura bitters
- Apple slice for garnish
- Cinnamon stick for garnish
- To make simple syrup, heat up small saucepan with the water and granulated sugar. Stir until simmered liquid is clear. Remove from heat and add cinnamon stick and crushed cardamom pods. Let cool before use, strain and store extra in fridge for up to a week.
- Take your old fashioned glass and add spiced simple syrup, apple cider, bourbon and bitters.
- Stir until combined, add ice (cubes, sphere, or the fancy whiskey rocks if you don't like your drinks watered down with ice).
- Finish with apple slice and cinnamon stick to stir your drink one last time before serving.